After the First World War, after women entered the work world, it was hard for anyone to go back to the way it was before. Women were working and making something besides cooking and cleaning. They were redefining who women are and what their role in society is. They changed their look, their way of life and they changed it forever.
Not only did they cut their hair but they cut their skirt hems. They started smoking cigarets and drinking out in the open; Although, this was the time of the prohibition (1920- 1933). They danced in night clubs provocatively and dated openly. Petting became more and more popular as parties were made just for it. women were much more casual about "hooking up." They created their own slang for getting alcohol, having sex, and getting engaged. These women were fighting against the tradition life that they were supposed to have.
There was a different group of older women that looked down on the flappers because they saw them as unworthy of the rights they had fought so hard for. Women could finally vote and many flappers were not even interested in politics. With the two sides, does that mean one is wrong? or do they balance each other out? Will there ever be anything like this again or will woman's progress go unnoticed?
Is it progress that we hold an expectation for women to work full time as well as raise children and take care of the home?
ReplyDeleteAs the mother of a 14 month old I feel stretched pretty thin. I'm responsible for raising a healthy, happy, well adjusted child, as well as go to school, work, take care of a home, and put dinner on the table. Oh - and don't forget - I should look fantastic while I do all of this.
I feel a lot of pressure to live up to societies expectations that I can be wonder woman. I truly questions if this is progress, or if this is profit for pharmaceutical companies to cash in on muscle relaxers and anti-depressants.