no not the Grinch who stole Christmas, but I was just watching that on ABC family!
My fatha was just talking with his dad the other day (my grandpa) and they were talking about how the end of the semester was coming and that we should get together to celebrate Christmas. He was suggesting that we get together on the Sunday of the 18th and my dad explained to him that I would not be home for Winter Break yet. my grandpa said "Winter break, back in 19 what ever, I was on the team that changed the name from Christmas break to winter break." my dad replied,"you were the one who killed Christmas?"
When my dad told me this story I broke out into laughter. my Grandpa is not the type to joke with when he is telling a serious story, especially when it is about him.
In most family's, grandparents are named with their first names: Grandma Joanie, Grandpa Dick.
But with my dads dad, the day I was born he said, she can call me Grandpa Black.
When I was about 12 or so my Grandpa "Black" was visiting and one of my friends was over hanging out with me. When my Grandpa was leaving she asked me " so whats his name?" and I told her it was Bob cause that's what I thought she was asking. Hes walking out the front door and she yells "bye Grandpa Bob!!" my entire family burst out laughing. we had never heard that before. His name was Grandpa Black. He turned around and had a look on his face like he was offended by the name, but we didn't care, hes been Grandpa Bob ever since. And now hes the man who killed Christmas.
That is really crazy that he was part of the group that changed the name of Christmas break to winter break. I totally understand why it was changed though. I would feel discriminated against if I didn't celebrate Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThe way he got his nickname is really funny too. I love nicknames. How they start and why they got them is always funny. I always wished I had a real nickname. I have had a few but none too great.. like 'mollsbolls', 'mothballs', or 'mollygolly' the only one I don't mind is 'moll'.